Monday, April 30, 2007

What's the First to Go, Again?

Netflix, that infamous online DVD rental store, does a very neat thing for members: They keep track of very single movie, television, or oddity rented and returned. On one of my slower days, I’m gazing at my list. I’ve been a member since 2001, so it’s a long list. But I remember every single movie, episode, and oddity…except that one.

Strange Impersonation?

What’s a Strange Impersonation? Other than a bad Rich Little routine, I mean.

I go online, check the Internet Movie Database. The plot rings a bell, but not much else. So I look up a review or three. Vague outlines begin to appear, but they’re blurred by bad camerawork and poor developing. One review has a picture, of a blonde woman ironclad in a stiff Forties suit, severe blonde pompadour, and horn-rimmed eyeglasses. The blur refocuses a bit—I remember the scientific accident, a jealous assistant, the vengeful lead heroine, a misunderstood beau, a convoluted setup…but that’s as far as it gets.

For the life of me, I can’t remember how it ends.

Sigh.

This is what happens, right? First the eyesight (which faltered before puberty, actually), then the old brain pan springs a few leaks. I’ve never forgotten a movie, even ones I wish I could forget. Some are welcome houseguests, others are burned in with a brand. Except this one.

Yes, Strange Impersonation is back in the queue. I swear old age is a conspiracy.

No comments: